MOODY AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. --
Team Moody’s 23rd Civil Engineer Squadron firefighters performed nighttime, live-fire training Jan. 10 here to prepare for the possibility of aircraft fire operations during the night.
“This is 80 percent of what we do; the other 20 percent is structural,” said Charlie Johnson, 23rd CES assistant fire chief of training. “Most likely if anything is ever to happen, it will be with an aircraft. So, it’s very important we get this live-fire training.”
It isn’t only important that the 23rd CES Airmen experience this type of training, but it’s required by the Air Force and the Federal Aviation Administration for all airport firefighters to conduct this training periodically.
“Situations like this happen,” said Airman 1st Class Jacob Molden, 23rd CES firefighter. “In the real world, we’re not going to be able to really predict everything. So, it’s good in training to throw out some random events and not tell us exactly how it’s going to go to let us figure it out on our own, because that’s how we learn.”
Upon arriving to the scene, firefighters used their vehicles to assess the situation and began battling the flames.
“Usually we modulate,” Molden said. “So, we’ll [drive] around the aircraft and spray water, and then we’ll position ourselves and pull hand-lines to fight the fire.”
After pulling the hand-lines, Airmen began to group up and combat the fire.
“My favorite part is actually fighting the fire,” Molden said. “It’s hot and adrenaline’s going with all the lights, people yelling, and it’s chaotic. At the same time, we’ve got it all figured out, because our training is very good. We know exactly what to do. We can fall back on our training to get the job done.”
While Molden said he enjoys this training, he has no doubts about the seriousness of it and hopes the newer guys take something away.
“When a live fire burns, you’re not exactly sure how you’re going to act,” Molden said. “You get to know yourself a little bit better and what works for you and also what you can work on to get better.