News Search

180-day civilian hiring restriction reinstated for military retirees

  • Published
  • By Richard Salomon
  • Air Force Personnel Center Public Affairs
Military retirees seeking to enter civil service in the Defense Department now require a waiver if they are within 180 days following their official date of retirement.

The new DOD requirement took effect Dec. 23, 2016, as part of the National Defense Authorization Act of fiscal year 2017. However, personnel who fall under a special salary rate table, such as air traffic controllers and information technology managers, are exempt from the 180-day requirement.

Enacted in 1964, the 180-day policy was waived after a state of national emergency was declared Sept. 14, 2001. After that, the Air Force had the flexibility to appoint retired military members within 180 days of retirement without needing to first seek a waiver.

“The Air Force is committed to sustaining and supporting a diverse civilian workforce,” said Sandy Pyott, the Civilian Force Management branch chief. “We recognize the virtues that retirees, veterans and career civil servants bring to the table and how working together we can continue to be a world-class organization.”

This policy applies to all non-appropriated and appropriated fund civilian positions in the competitive and excepted service, senior executive service and senior level positions, and scientific and professional positions. The policy also includes all permanent, temporary, term, part-time, flexible and intermittent positions.

Waivers may be submitted when it is determined that the retired military member is more highly qualified than the other candidates on the referral certificate. Members who are separating from the military and are not entitled to receive retirement pay from the armed services are not impacted by the 180-day wait period. Positions that fall under the special salary rate table are also exempt from the policy.

For more information, select “Any” from the dropdown menu on myPers and search “180 day.” Individuals who do not have a myPers account can request one by following these instructions.