Brig. Gen. Rick Boutwell is the Vice Commander, 15th Air Force, Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina. Fifteenth Air Force organizes, trains, and equips its headquarters to be a deployable, operational-level Joint Task Force and its subordinate commands to prepare for an execute expeditionary taskings. Additionally, 15th Air Force commands 13 wings and three direct reporting units in the U.S., ensuring the operational readiness of about 800 aircraft and more than 45,000 active duty and civilian members.
General Boutwell commissioned in 1991 as a graduate of the Troy State University, Alabama, ROTC program. He earned his wings at Vance AFB, Oklahoma, in 1993 and has served in a variety of flying positions, including a demonstration pilot for the U.S. Air Force “Thunderbirds.” He has commanded at the squadron, group and wing level. He has deployed in support of Operations Uphold Democracy, Southern Watch, Northern Watch, Provide Comfort and Inherent Resolve. Prior to his current assignment, General Boutwell Commander, Task Force-Air; Commander, 321st Air expeditionary Wing; Deputy Commander, 9th Air Expeditionary Task Force- Levant.
General Boutwell is a command pilot with more than 3,500 flying hours, including 149 hours in combat.
1988 Associate of Arts, Lurleen B. Wallace Junior College, Andalusia, Ala.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Health and Physical Education, Troy State University, Ala.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Master of Science, Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of Science, National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2011 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2016 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill
1. April 1992 - July 1993, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. August 1993 - March 1994, Student, F-15 Flying Training Unit, 95th Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
3. March 1994 - June 1997, Wing Weapons Officer, Chief of Standards and Evaluations, 60th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
4. June 1997 - June 1999, Flight Commander, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, 1st FS, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. July 1999 - October 1999, Student, F-16 Flying Training Unit, 308th FS, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. October 1999 - June 2003, Thunderbird Pilot, Left Wing, Slot, U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. June 2003 - June 2004, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2004 - August 2004, Student, F-15 Flying Training Unit, 2nd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
9. August 2004 - May 2007, Director of Operations, Assistant Director of Operations, 67th FS, Kadena Air Base, Japan
10. May 2007 - May 2009, Commander, 44th Fighter Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
11. June 2009 - June 2010, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. June 2010 - July 2012, Commander, 1st Operations Group, Langley AFB, Va.
13. July 2012 - June 2014, Chief, Force Application Division, Joint Staff/J8, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. June 2014 - July 2016, Commander, 99th Air Base Wing, Nellis AFB, Nev.
15. July 2016 - July 2017, Executive Assistant to the Commander, NORAD & U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. July 2017 - July 2019, Director, Regional Affairs, Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force, International Affairs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
17. July 2019 - May 2020, Commander, Task Force-Air; Commander, 321st Air Expeditionary Wing; Deputy Commander, 9th Air Expeditionary Task Force - Levant, Union III, Baghdad
18. August 2020 - Present, Vice Commander, 15th Air Force, Shaw AFB, S.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2012 - June 2014, Chief, Force Application Division, Joint Staff/J8, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a colonel
2. July 2016 - July 2017, Executive Assistant to the Commander, NORAD & U.S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo., as a colonel
3. July 2019 - May 2020, Commander Task Force-Air, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve, Union III, Baghdad, as a brigadier general
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,500
Aircraft Flown: F-22, F-15A-D, F-16C/D, T-38A/B and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 7, 1991
First Lieutenant Nov. 7, 1993
Captain Nov. 7, 1995
Major Aug. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel Oct. 1, 2010
Brigadier General July 3, 2017
(Current as of August 2020)